City of Hope opens its visionary comprehensive cancer center in Orange County, California, creating a national model for delivering breakthrough research and treatments. The City of Hope Orange County Lennar Foundation Cancer Center in Irvine heralds a new era of hope for those living with cancer.
“City of Hope’s vision is to bring cutting-edge research, treatment and care to more patients, families and communities across the country. Our new Orange County campus is doing just that, embedding an academic cancer center at the heart of a community to deliver breakthroughs and innovation in cancer for generations of patients who need our advanced care,” said Robert Stone, President, CEO, and Helen and Morgan Chu Chief Executive Officer Distinguished Chair, City of Hope.
A team of some of the world’s most respected medical scientists – with expertise in lung, breast, gastrointestinal, gynecology, urogenital, blood cancer and more – is leading the next generation of cancer care and research.
The City of Hope Orange County Lennar Foundation Cancer Center was made possible by a transformative $50 million donation from the Lennar Foundation, the nonprofit arm of the construction company Lennar Corporation. In Orange County alone, City of Hope has more than 15,000 philanthropic supporters who further their mission to fight cancer.
Outstanding clinical services include:
- Recognized cancer expertise: Access to City of Hope’s 575 physicians and more than 1,000 researchers and scientists focused exclusively on cancer
- Life Saving Clinical Trials: Access to nearly 1,000 innovative Phase 1-3 clinical trials conducted in City of Hope each year—more cancer-related clinical trials than anywhere else in the region—to bring promising new treatments to patients long before they become the standard of care.
- Breakthrough Treatments: Targeted immunotherapies, including CAR-T cell therapy, as well as bone marrow transplants, robotic minimally invasive surgeries, and magnetic resonance imaging-guided radiation oncology. These innovations have shown improved outcomes and quality of life for treated patients.
- Cutting-edge technology: The latest and most comprehensive suite of market-leading radiology, interventional radiology and radiation oncology devices, offering a powerful combination of high-tech and high-touch
- Integrative medicine: A groundbreaking integrative medicine program that combines the best of Western medicine and evidence-based complementary therapies such as acupuncture, massage and meditation
- Cancer prevention: Programs that identify individuals and families at increased risk of cancer by using genetic risk assessments, biomarker panels, and environmental surveys to control for that risk
- Early detection: New types of blood tests and imaging methods that detect cancer early, when it is still easily curable. The patients will be among the first in the country to gain access to City of Hope’s new Center for Cancer Prevention and Early Detection.
- Precision Medicine: World-class genomic testing to profile a patient’s tumor and determine the treatment that is most effective for their cancer
- Screening and Diagnostic Services: State-of-the-art imaging equipment and procedural suites that provide patients with convenient access to mammography, colonoscopy, robotic bronchoscopy and other life-saving services
- A clinical research unit: The epicenter for clinical investigational research that accelerates the development of new drugs and interventions at the bedside, enabling patients to receive the latest treatments in cancer care
- Surgical Oncology: An ambulatory surgery department that offers advanced perioperative care, an endoscopy room, and operating rooms with robotic surgical capabilities
- Supportive care: City of Hope is a national leader in evidence-based supportive care. The Sheri & Les Biller Patient and Family Resource Center at the Irvine Comprehensive Cancer Center will facilitate easy access to a wide range of programs including care navigation, survival programs, psychological and spiritual counseling, pain management and more.
Built for and with the community
The City of Hope Orange County Lennar Foundation Cancer Center was conceived with input from more than 500 patients, their families and community members. Every feature – from the meeting spaces and amenities to the lighting, wall color and choice of artwork – has been consciously chosen to promote healing and comfort and ensure patients and their families have the best care experience. Every staff member strives to provide compassionate care and continue City of Hope’s legacy of taking patients’ hands and never letting go.
- 67 spacious examination and treatment rooms
- 15 consultation rooms equipped with the latest technology, allowing patients and loved ones to comfortably meet with their care team
- An infusion center tailored to patient preferences with 43 pens and 10 private infusion treatment rooms. Infusion bays feature repositionable furniture, flexible privacy options, and panoramic views of the Saddleback Mountains.
- Hope Boutique, a full-service salon and specialty shopping experience featuring oncology-trained estheticians dedicated to assisting patients with bespoke cosmetic services, breast prostheses and more
- A retail and specialty pharmacy that dispenses traditional, specialty and over-the-counter medications, reducing the burden of travel for patients for their medication needs. In addition, a compound pharmacy provides a complete assessment of patient needs and prepares personalized chemotherapeutic and non-chemotherapeutic drugs. Professionally trained clinical pharmacists assist patients with medication management.
- A comprehensive range of state-of-the-art laboratory services in one location, making it convenient for patients to receive routine blood draws
- Feng Shui design, art galleries, a healing garden, dedicated space for family members to gather or work, and programs that care for the whole patient – mind, body and spirit.
“With the opening of the City of Hope Orange County Lennar Foundation Cancer Center, we are delivering on our promise to the people of Orange County and making a difference in cancer care for our family, friends and neighbors. Four years ago, we made a commitment to bring the most advanced cancer care to Orange County, home to 3.2 million people. As we open the doors of our cancer center, our highly dedicated teams join the community to celebrate bringing tomorrow’s life-saving treatments to those who need them today. Hope really is here in Orange County,” said Annette Walker, President of City of Hope Orange County.
City of Hope’s cancer care network in Orange County currently includes four regional clinics – two in Newport Beach, one in Huntington Beach and one in Irvine. The cancer center, community practice sites and proposed hospital will form Orange County’s largest network dedicated solely to cancer treatment and healing.